Please see the thread "Foliage Penetration" (was Trango vs. Canopy or some-such).

Here's what Matt Liotta said:

We have found 5.8Ghz OFDM gear better than 900Mhz when it comes to NLOS links through foliage. We attribute this to a few things. First, the noise floor at 900Mhz is higher than 5.8Ghz due mostly to paging services. Second, Fresnel effects are a real problem for low antennas at 900Mhz. Finally, OFDM is simply better able to deal with multi-path interference. If you haven't had a chance to try equipment from Orthogon Systems then I would suggest you see for yourself.

In regard to power at 900Mhz vs. 5.8Ghz, check your FCC regulations.
5.8Ghz point-to-point links allow for the use of any antenna gain you desire assuming you have limited transmit power to 1W.

---

After much misinterpretation, Matt clarified that he believed Orthogon Systems succeeded not by penetrating leaves, but by using multipath reflections *around* them.

Best,
--
Dylan Oliver
Primaverity, LLC