From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lonnie Nunweiler
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 12:29 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 6 foot 6ghz antenna rule

APC is useless if the antennas are not aimed properly or the distance is
excessive for the antenna gain.  These conditions will cause the transmitters
to pump out full volume, and if the antennas are your lower gain variety that
means spraying noise everywhere.

I would recommend leaving the nice tight 6 foot dishes.  That simple rule keeps
the band clean for those long distance shots, instead of polluting it for close
in shots.

You guys have to start asking yourself what you are doing wrong if you
continually need more bands.  The growing trend to higher power and wide beam
antennas has to stop.  We are now doing a shot with 3 foot antennas and the CM9
Atheros radios in the 5 GHz band that is just over 52 miles and pulling -71 to
-77 dB (variance through the day), yet I see people lining and almost drooling
for the 400 mW high power cards.

In short, most guys have little RF knowledge and they naturally take the easy
way.  I would expect to see 400 mW cards and patch antennas if the rules get
changed as you are proposing.

I say that is a mistake.

Regards,
Lonnie

On 8/4/05, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For those that don't know, the 6 gig band is licensed ptp only.  It's
> a pretty cheap license and you can get a LOT of throughput for very
> long distances.
>
> For short (less than 50 miles :-) the 6' antenna requirement often
> kills the deal because of size limits on what towers can handle.  Or
> the building owner doesn't want such large antennas etc.
>
> Certainly for something that just shoots a mile or three up the road
> it's a tough rule to deal with.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how to go about it but I've got the name of the
> person at the FCC that'll help us if we'd like to request a rule change.
>
> I'd like to suggest that we push for elimination of the 6' antenna
> rule for the 6 gig band.  If people are worried about undue
> interference in the band due to the wider beam antennas we could toss
> out an APC (automatic power
> control) requirement to use smaller antennas.
>
> Thoughts?
> Marlon
> (509) 982-2181                                   Equipment sales
> (408) 907-6910 (Vonage)                    Consulting services
> 42846865 (icq)                                    And I run my own wisp!
> 64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
> www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
> www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

Lonnie Nunweiler