Marlon, please don't take anything I said personally bud - it wasn't
directed at you or anyone specifically. I've always said that you are a
great guy, you give a ton of great, practical, free advice. That's nothing
short of inspiring. We all have to share and give more back to your industry
than what we take in order to help it grow along with our business. I get
frustrated when I read things that run counter to this thinking though and
that prozac 'n jack cocktail just isn't enough.;-)

So the jab was at the concept of not going to shows because someone knows
everything, there's nothing left to learn and ironically the money is so
tight that a free hall pass is the only thing that's mildly justifiable.

If anything, that's the best reason to go to any show, join a newsgroup or
association: help everyone else around you learn (competitor or not). The
world and the industry are a better place even if our competitors are more
intelligent, professional and successful. The worst competitors are ignorant
spectrum hogs and fools who come to town, sign everyone up by undercutting
you and then flame out after delivering poor, unreliable services. That's
bad for them, you, me and most importantly the WISP industry and our image
as a whole. Same can be said for Associations and the zillions of trade
shows in our industry, so it's important for these things to exist and keep
driving to raise the bar. We can't make everyone smart, ethical and
professional, but we can have a positive impact and strive to create/raise
the standards for everyone.

I can (all too painfully well) understand the financial strains in the early
phase of any business. We're a 4 person company that operates entirely on
cash flow. I go through the same justification process for events, travel or
any other expense. Every business needs to consider the long and short term
interests and balance those things. I'm not advocating that every spare dime
should be spent attending trade shows or joining every association out there
either.

I said this to John when I sent the suggestions for WISPA's event/media
partnership policy: small doesn't have to equal unprofitable - that's the
distinction we all need to make. Ideally we'd all figure out how to run
efficient, pocket sized, easy-to-manage businesses that are insanely
profitable and valuable regardless of their size. So let's get over the fact
that we're small and figure out how to help each other become the profitable
and professional businesses (large or small) that we all can and should be.
Otherwise we should go fire up that tractor or dusty resume again.

There's no reason why everyone has to remain permanently locked in
"fledgling" mode. There are ways to break that cycle that we've got to help
each other find or we'll need much more than this lightweight prozac stuff.
I want to see us all break out of that cycle sooner than later and identify
the paths that others can take to flourish as an industry. This is, as
Michael Gerber says "working ON your business rather than IN it". Largely,
we've got an industry of "technicians-turned-entrepreneur" that are
overwhelmed with working IN our businesses. That's not a business, it's a
job and if you are like me, the boss is a total PITA.

This isn't about making my shows a fit for WISPA or promoting my conference
over someone else's. They all help in one way or another and have their
place for each person's specific needs. VoIP could be a total waste of time
for your market, but huge for people in other market conditions - doesn't
make it good or bad, but we've got to help each other make those major
distinctions rather than simultaneously lumbering through the process in our
own vacuums.

Newsgroups, Associations, Trade Shows, Magazines, Radio Shows,
whatever...they are all part of getting there, no matter which ones you are
involved with. Imho, the key (which was the rambling point I was trying to
make in the last message) is to be part of the industry and avoid
lowballing, freeloading and using everyone around you - it's bad for the
industry and our image. To contribute and support these things that are part
of your industry and extract value only AFTER you've contributed an equal or
greater amount is the idea. That is the only way we can all succeed. If
anything Marlon, you are a perfect example of someone who does just that -
so if you haven't heard it lately, THANK YOU!

So who here is going step up and help Marlon master his customer acquisition
costs? Anyone?
jp