I agree.  If you have ever seen one come down you know that it should
be built correctly, and not by some guy who is cheap and dirty.  A
poorly constructed or installed tower can do much property damage and
can even kill.

I think common sense is great, but professional sense with respect to
technical or trade things is better.

If you do not wish to take a complete safety course why not approach
your local fire dept and see if they would give some pointers at
least.  Join a rock climbing club and really get into it.  The same
issues are there when you are hanging on to a rock face and a slip or
fall means certain death.

Lonnie

On 8/17/05, Brian Rohrbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.comtrainusa.com/Tower%20Tech/ttech.htm
> While we're on the topic, wouldn't it be best to take this class too?  If
> your climbing towers, you should know how to build one.  That is the only
> way you might determine if one is safe to climb.
>

> Lonnie Nunweiler wrote:
> Not sure if you want to modify your advice of "tie-of and sit down on
the
> harness seat, and regain your wind / strength" after you read the
following
> link. It is potentially dangerous advice if you are not
aware of the dangers
> in doing
> so.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/Safety-HTML/HTML/Will-Your-Safety-Harness-Kill-You~20040119.htm

Lonnie

On
> 8/17/05, Tom DeReggi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What are some of the alternative good training programs other than
> Comtrain?

My advice as a novice, is...

Don't underestimate the strength
> it takes to climb to higher heights. Once
you realize that its to far for
> your physique its to late, you still have
the hardest part left, going back
> down again! The last thing you want to be
doing is hyperventilating at the
> top of a tower. Don't be afraid to tie-of
and sit down on the harness seat,
> and regain your wind / strength. When you
climb tired, its easy to get
> sloppy and under estimate where you are
grabbing.

Start out with shorter
> height excersizes to get familiar with the process
and problems you will
> encounter. Simple problems get complicated, when you
need at least one of
> the two hands to hold on. Issues such as where do you
put the screws so you
> don't drop them, and can find them again when they
need to get screwed back
> again. How do you keep your bucket from catching
on things. What length do
> you need your tie-off lanyards adjusted to, to be
comfortable. How do you
> hold the antenna, and screw it on at the same time,
and hold on? You learn
> to use your tie offs optimally, and your legs. Most
importantly DON"T go
> climbing alone! Have the ground people do as much work
as possible, to save