First thing I do is get some leather soled, slip on shoes. I walk through the mud and hop on the tower. I take an extra jacket that I tie off to my waist and, if my legs get tired, re-tie it to the tower leg and around me. Normally, the backpack I have on is filled with tools - I bring everything, power drill, bits, wratchet set - its heavy and bulky, but better than having to return to the ground. I usally wear just one glove, that way if the ice on the tower is bothering my bare hand I can just hold on with the gloved hand. I find it challanging when the wind is blowing just before an electrical storm to get to the highest part of the tower before I hear the thunder. I'll count down 1.2.3.4.5 after the flash, and if I can get to 3, I know I'm safe.

Sometimes my loose jacket will snag on an antenna on the way up and hold me up for a few seconds but I can swing around holding on with one hand. I never climb with a rope. If I do drag a rope up with me, I make sure its a nylon one - light and with no give. I'll weave it through the tower as I go up, and keep the end of it wrapped up on one hand - usually the bare one.

Once I'm up above 100 feet, I'll lock an arm around the tower and put much shoe into a cross member to get relaxed. Sometimes the blood cuts off in my arm and I can't feel anything in that arm, but I know I'm safe. Often when I'm pulling up a 150 lbs of extra stuff on a '25 tower, it tends to band into other antennas and get stuck, but if you pull really hard, you can normally get it loose.

And if you do any of this stuff, don't call yourself a professional, or complain if you are dead in a day of climbing.

Mac Dearman wrote:

I meant 3 people on this list!!!

Mac

Mac Dearman wrote:

I would be willing to bet that their aint more than 3 people who have actually attended and completed a climbing school. I have been climbing for years and have never been to an actual school that I had to pay for. I have yet to fall, bust a chin or a nut on a tower. I may fall in the morning, but it won't be because I wasnt tied off - - - I am worth more dead than alive in ca$h - - - so someone hire a private detective to check my wifes knife along with my lanyard :-)

Good common sense is worth more than anything I can think of. I have had some private tutoring by seasoned pro's that has been a great help. I would attend and pay for professional training even today if there was such a thing anywhere in the South.

My best advice is to get training, but if you cant - - take your time as you climb, be sure you are 100% locked off and no drinking alcohol or smoking pot...etc before climbing and ALWAYS wear sunglasses, gloves and take water!!! NEVER CLIMB ALONE - always have someone on the ground watching for you and paying attention - - not sleeping! If you get scared, come down easy and try again another day. No war was ever won in a single day!!!