ARe you anywhere near Cogent fiber?

Are you anywhere near

http://www.onfiber.com/content/index.cfm?fuseaction=showContent&contentID=28&navID=28

John

Blair Davis wrote:

I wish I could get 10meg for 1000.00 a month, let alone 100meg!!!!!!

Todd Lancaster wrote:

i get 100meg for 1000.00 a month. Like i said bandwidth is not my problem. I have a personal 45meg link to my house. When i run www.toast.net/performance speed tests i chuckle. Hence why i dont care giving customers the bandwidth i give them. I do monitor it closely, more so to keep stress off my AP's. Damn
kids and there P2P Programs.
--
Thanks,
Todd Lancaster

Quoting Blair Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Bandwidth on the availability side is not an issue.  We buy bandwidth
for about $20-25 per meg so that is not an issue and we have multiple
provider fiber feeds to our NOC.

$25 per meg?  I'm at $350 per 1.5 meg!!!!!

Unfortunately...customers are so sold on price and high speeds....

-B-

Todd Lancaster wrote:

Well first off if my customers did a speed test and saw 256k My
phones would be
ringing off the hook.  159.00?? Thats insane too, but if your getting
more
power to you.  On the other hand if i was you I would search for more
bandwidth
and a cost that doesnt bring your overhead up much. Then I would open
customers up to more bandwidth and for alot less price. My customers
are paying
40.00 a month and seeing 3-4meg down and 1meg up or more. Yeah seems
cheap but
i have 100meg of internet bandwidth at a very affordable price and
With that
price customers are signing up left and right. Anyways should you let
him out
of the contract? I wouldnt thats what the contract is for, however i
would find
a way to bump him up alot more in bandwidth and drop the price and
then say ill
do this if you will renew with me plus with me your not a number your a
customer and if need be explain how with you if theres a issue you
will resolve
it quickly. Also mention when he calls you he talks with the owner
not some
highschool dipshit techie that doesnt know how to hardly turn on a
machine. =) Just put it in nicer words but thats the point you want
to make to him. Your
not just supplying him bandwidth your supplying him support that he
can depend
on also.  Best of luck with that situation.

--
Thanks,
Todd Lancaster

Quoting Bob Moldashel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

OK...You have a customer that is paying $159 month for 256K service. No other service providers are available in the area except a full T1 for
$599+ per month. 8 Months later cable modem shows up and offers
$79/month for the first year for new sign ups with 3-4 Mb downloads.
Your customer paying $159/month still has 10 months left on his
contract
and is looking to cancel saying the service is slow.

What do you do?

Do you let the customer out of his contract??  Do you enforce the
contract and possibly loose the customer at the end of the contract? Do
you match cable's price and speed? Do you try to give him a better
package and risk him "jumping ship" anyways?

I would love to hear everyone's ideas and input.

-B-

--
Bob Moldashel
Lakeland Communications, Inc.