I'm not that worried about other WISP competition. Generally they already do their best to find what other WISP might be in town and call for a compeitive quote before closing. Plus we general pass referrals back and forth when we can't serve someone and we know our neighbor can. When referring to losing a web client to competition, I was referring to sending them to a sight that had EVDO. Its more likely that EVDO will be deploying every where that we would also deploy as we are in a urban/suburban environment. I'd argue that ILECS would make an effort to deploy where there was a WISP apposed to avoid them. There are many reasons why someone might want to chose a WISP over EVDO or EVDO over a WISP, and I'm a firm believer in the right service for the right job. But unfortuneately, customers rarely know what they want, nor understand how to differenciate through misleading marketing material on web sites. Customer awareness is still a problem. People will buy a Verizon service over a WISP solution if they are given a choice without a chance for the WISP to help explain the differenciating features, because people believe in what they are familiar with and frequent advertising they see. I frequently refer people tht we can't serve or that do not meet our profile to EVDO services, but I don't want that to happen before we make our pitch to them, so they get a fair overview to compare. So my point still stands, I'd be a fool to steer traffic away from my site, if I had it already, to a site that offered competitor services. Just my opinion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Kim Wireless Internet Advisor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] GOOGLE Maps - Marketing PROPOSAL

Team.. sorry about my long absence...
i'm back now..
Here are the reasons why i believe that linking to ONE website:
http://evdo-coverage.com/wireless-internet-service/
will be beneficial to all participants.

Tom, ok... why steer them away:...
1. your biz's are geo specific. so.. even if your guests went to the
map... they'd only find you again anyways...
2. If you wish... since we are the original members of this map
project.. i can restrict new wisps to ONLY add their locations IF they
are not competing with your territories.. Personally, my interest is
in mapping regions... NOT creating intraregional competition
3. chances are .. NOBODY will click on the link... just having the
words "wireless internet" is not leading ...

___________________
As for why these specific terms
"Wireless Internet" = 800,000 people /m search this in google
"wisp" = 50,000 people search for this in google per month.
So, I'd rather opt for the higher traffic front page.
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion

_______________
As for WHY NOT burried at bottom of webpage...

ok... this is how google works... (all caps used for italics)
and for your own search marketing.. this is important to know..
remember... google is the NEW Yellow pages..

google ranks websites based on (in this order)
1) link terms -> search query matches
so... if a million websites like to your site as link: RELIABLE ->
http://reliableinter.net

THEN, if someone goes into google and types "RELIABLE" you're website
is likely to come up top ten. under that word... BUT... what you WANT
is to be found under a search for "wireless internet" since you're far
more likely to have a qualified lead this way.

2) Key Word Frequency
So, If you are a wisp, then in plain Html, the word "WISP" needs to be
at about 17% of the total volume of your home page...

3) Key Word Placement
Tom, this addresses your question...
google ranks sites based on NOT ONLY QUANTITY but also,
LOCATION of words... so... a word or a link at the top of the page
will get more "points"
than a link at the bottom.

I can certainly get you Google Stats...
Yahoo stats are self serve and very similar to googles.. so... just
take the number of visitors you see here:
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion
and multiply by 20X to see how many people would see your website ...
(google gets about 20X more traffic than Yahoo for tech issues)