Hi All,

I had a call from David Wilson with Smartbridges. He's in need of some solar and/or wind gear for the Katrina areas. I know I've seen some info from one of these lists about where to get alternate power sources.

I know EC has solar kits now but I don't know how much is in stock. And they've already donated quite a bit of gear....

A couple of ideas that I had to get people by (for those that need it now or need it later) are: Run some wires from your vehicle battery to the back (make sure you are not in a trunk or something enclosed!!!) and use that to charge a battery(s). Use deep cell and/or big tractor batteries and run your gear that's natively 12 vdc from them and just change out the batteries as needed. Charge the dead ones while you drive. Also, many ups units are 12 vdc powered for the backup. I'd not be afraid to hook up a slug of batteries in parallel and run a wire right through the side of the case. Swap out one battery at a time and you'll have no outages. I'll bet 3 or 4 car batteries would keep an ups unit with a wpop on it running for days.

Hope this helps! And if you know anyone that can help with alternate power systems please contact David directly asap.

thanks!
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless