I tell ya, it aint easy getting cost effective flights, to donate techs to the relief effort. Airlines have plenty of seats available at a premium, but I've had difficulty getting them to take my Frequent Flyer Miles, in any reasonable amount of time, to cost effectively send someone. Frustrating!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] How to compete (was) 30Mbps for $55/month!

Grin.  Sure, we'd all pay $50 for 30 megs.

So go get it for YOUR connectivity and offer 10 megs for $35 and still make a ton of money!

As long as we maintain the ability to buy these types of connections I think it's actually a good thing for the wips.

BTW, even out here in Odessa I just dropped a 10 meg vlan to another town and 10 meg upstream connectivity in for $800 per month plus $200 per month per AVERAGE meg used. So I have what amounts to TWO 10 meg pipes that I'll pay under $1000 per month for. This in a county of 10,000 people.

Our wireless just went from 1.5 megs (was limited by the t-1) to 3 meg with NO increase in cost to the customer. No need for them to call us and ask for the new service either. It just happened for them. The telco NEVER treats their customers that way.

Your link to that article was funny. Just today I was telling someone that WISPs aren't all that much responsible for the bottom falling out of the broadband market (something I've been saying was going to happen for at least 2 years now by the way). It's the cable/dsl customer ownership wars.

Where I think the whole thing is funny is that the telcos and the cable cos don't normally upgrade every few years like the wisps do. They are putting out 30 by 5 megs how far? Our new gear will do over 20 by 20 megs for MILES in all directions! Tomorrow's gear will make that look like a joke. By the time these guys get around to giving away 50 megs we'll already be giving people 75!

Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam