Grin. Yeah, fiber is going in all over the place. It'll hit every home in the country next week. After all, digging up roads is cheap!

I've had a few people leave DSL for our wireless of late. They all report HUGE increases in performance with us. And they love the fact that they can pick up a phone and call us and we'll actually talk to them. A real person and all.

To understand where broadband is going I think we only have to look to dialup. Look back to about 1992 and put the broadband industry in 2002 in that spot.

The day is coming when people will get 100 meg connections for $10. No one will point out that it's only available to .0000002% of the users nor that it's ad supported and choc full of spyware. But it'll get all the press.

I think that the normal broadband rate is headed for the normal dialup rate of $15 to $25. Speeds (actual not advertised) will be in the 500k to 1.5 meg range. (How many people do you know that pitch a fit because their 56k modem never really hits 56k?)

Sure it's going to get tougher to compete. We can still do it cheaper and better than they can. And we can still go places they can't go. And we can get there faster in almost all cases.

Amazingly there are still independent auto mechanics, restaurants, doctors, radio stations, garbage collectors etc. Somehow I think that the WISPs won't be going away any time soon. Not unless they totally screw the pooch.

laters,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless