The message at the bottom of this page is from Mac Dearman in Rayville, Louisiana to our WISPA email list server. He is one of our trade association members. As you can see he is having trouble getting what he needs to continue helping folks in Louisiana.The U.S. Government should consider a policy of funding first in situations like this where we have a federally recognized trade group (501c6 non-profit) and then task us with providing proper documentation and accounting to back up funding later. People need our help right now. Along with Mac's message I have copied excerpts from the Washington Post and New York Times telling the story of what we are doing in Louisiana. We need money right now. If you cannot fund us then please fund someone to continue doing what we are doing. People need our help.

Here are quotes from the Washington Post and New York Times:

The Washington Post: <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090802058.html> Wireless Networks Give Voice To Evacuees (September 9, 2005)

   Hurricane Katrina survivor Caprice Butler had been at a church
   shelter in rural northeastern Louisiana for nearly a week when she
   finally heard her husband’s voice on an Internet phone running on an
   improvised wireless network.

   “I was just overjoyed,” she said yesterday, tearing up as she spoke
   outside the church in the farming town of Mangham, about 200 miles
   from her flooded New Orleans home. “Words can’t explain how I felt.”

   …

   The network at Mangham Baptist Church was the brainchild of Mac
   Dearman, a wireless Internet service provider who was driving past
   the church last week when he saw a group of parked cars, realized
   they were people who had fled the hurricane and set about providing
   relief, including food, clothing and online access.

   Dearman hooked up a radio transmitter near the church and linked
   that to a voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) telephone and a
   computer, and suddenly the dozens of people taking refuge at the
   church had the ability to reach out to the outside world.

   Mostly, they are searching for loved ones and filling out Federal
   Emergency Management Agency forms to get disaster aid.

   “They just call from shelter to shelter to shelter looking for their
   kids or for their daddies or their brothers because they got
   separated, and they are just finding each other in the last few
   days,” Dearman said, adding that people were often overwhelmed when
   they connected.

   New York Times <http://www.radioresponse.org/wordpress/?page_id=22>
   (September 18, 2005)

       When Katrina hit, (Radio Response’s Paul) Smith and other
       volunteer communications enthusiasts rushed down to Louisiana.
       In Rayville, his team of techies clambered up a local tower to
       blast WiFi signals 50 miles through the countryside; their
       signals reached refugees clustered in church basements with
       computers but no Internet connections. “We’re trying to make
       sure families can contact each other, and get online to register
       with FEMA’s Web site,” Smith told me.