I just ordered the cat 5 from ARC Wireless.  He gave me a price of .0689 per foot.  GREAT DEAL!  Thanks Blair.

Brian

Blair Davis wrote:
Tom DeReggi wrote:
Blair,

I am using a DC to DC converter with each of my WRAPs so they are powered with the Lucent standard 48V POE.  The D-Link 5V/12V switchable POE units work fine for this.

I take it then that the D-Link 12V Poe terminator then acts sorta like a fuse or barrier between the WRAP and the 48V POE.  How do you get the Dlink 12V POE terminator inside the radio case? Does it just hang inside? What is that combination POE costing you?

I would not say it acts as a fuse.  It doesn't 'blow out'.  It just seems to be much more tolerant of voltage spikes on its input side while keeping the 12VDC output side steady.  I build my own cases for the WRAPs using FiberCor boxes.  I just let the POE dangle in the radio box.  I also buy a 1ft network cable to use with it in the radio box.  The D-Link POE is about $30 or so.
I use flooded, shielded, with drain wire, outdoor CAT5 cable.  (about $75 for 1000ft)  I tie the drain wire to the coax and WRAP board ground topside.  I ground the coax to the tower/antenna mount.  Ground the drain wire at the power injector.

Great idea, using the drain wire cable.  What brand cable do you use, that only costs $75 a spool?

I get it from ARC wireless.  Part number SW-CAB-108190.

Speak to Ken.  Here is his contact info....

<>Kenneth M. Muscato
National Sales Manager
Mobile Base Station & Flat Panel Antennas & Cable Products  <>

Wireless Communications Solutions Division,

ARC Wireless Solutions, Inc.
219 West Tanglewood Drive
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
<>Ph# 847-778-2589
email address   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.antennas.com

Please tell him I sent you there.

I'm paying about $265 for Superior Essex without a drain wire.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc

Since doing this, I have had NO WRAP failures, and no spike induced lockups that require a power off/on cycle.
Using this in other locations, (non WRAP) seems to have eliminated the need for POE/ethernet surge protectors..

We have had several major thunderstorm systems go thru since then.  I have not lost any equipment at locations I have done this at.  We used to loose a WRAP or 2 with each major storm front.

Note that shielded CAT5 doesn't seem to be good enough.  The drain wire seems to be required.

Blair

Tom DeReggi wrote:

What are people doing for WRAP board lightning protection?

Basically the WRAP board has a part that blows up, if it receives more than 21 Volts to its DC input.
So a typical CAT5 Lightning protector that protects the DC pairs at only 35V, 50V or 60V would pretty much be useless for protecting the WRAP over the DC lines.

Any Protectors on the market that start to clamp at 20V DC?  I'm guessing most people are just going without lightning protections, and settling for UPS protection on the AC line?

What about the COAX/antenna side? If installing the WRAP radio up on a tower, with an external antenna with a 3 foot Caox cable to it, are you guys, springing for the COAX lighting protector?

For a several 10 ft run down a tower, of course the COAX protection should be used, but for a 3 ft run?

I like the WRAP boards, but the 21V max tolerance, I think could end up being a major flaw for wide scale deployment.
What are others finding?  I like the design of the Mikrotik 532's better, but to standardize on it, I need to know that there is more than one distributor/reseller of the product nationwide.  Hopefully the production will improve once the product becomes more mainstream.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

Blair Davis

AOL IM Screen Name --  Theory240

West Michigan Wireless ISP
269-686-8648

A division of:
Camp Communication Services, INC

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release Date: 9/23/2005