-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Aaron Comm. Director Date: 10/19/05 12:33 pm
To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subj:  Wireless ISPs seek unlicensed spectrum

October 19, 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:
John Scrivner, WISPA, (618) 237-2387
Craig Aaron, Free Press, (202) 265-1490, x25

Wireless ISPs urge Senate to set aside 'unlicensed spectrum'

Local entrepreneurs see chance to use 'public resources to meet public  needs'
in digital television transition

WASHINGTON -- Nearly 40 Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs) from across the
country delivered a letter today urging members of the Senate Commerce Committee to make
"unlicensed spectrum" a major priority of any digital television (DTV)
transition legislation.

As entrepreneurs providing unlicensed wireless services throughout the United
States, the WISPs encouraged the Committee to approve legislative and
regulatory policies that will expand the availability of unlicensed spectrum to
promote affordable broadband access.

The WISPs asked Congress to set aside portions of the broadcast band for unlicensed use
and to direct the FCC to complete its stalled rulemaking to open unassigned TV channels
in each market -- known as "white spaces" -- for unlicensed wireless broadband
services.

"Any legislation that fails to address the spectrum needs of Americans in the 21st century
fails to serve the public interest," the letter declares. "The DTV transition represents
an historic opportunity to maximize efficient use of public resources to meet public needs."

To read a copy of the letter, go to
http://www.freepress.net/docs/wisps_unlicensed.doc

###

WISPA, the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association,  is dedicated to
promoting and improving the WISP industry. Visit WISPA's Web site at
http://www.wispa.org