Have heard the same thing from others concerning voip and iptv.
Guess it's not an isolated thought.

George

Tony Weasler wrote:
--- MarketWatch Quote ---
"How do you think they're going to get to customers? Through a
broadband pipe. Cable companies have them. We have them," said Ed
Whitacre in a BusinessWeek Online interview. "What they would like to
do is use my pipes for free. I ain't going to let them do that."

He argued that because SBC and others have invested to build
high-speed networks, they are due a return. [1]
--/ MarketWatch Quote ---

  It's a brave new world.  I'm hoping that this is a clueless person
talking about a business he is in charge of but knows little about.  I
fear that this is someone who has a feasible plan to accomplish what
he describes.  I don't think that a telephone-model overlay on the
Internet will satisfy many consumers, but if they don't have an
alternative what are their options?
  Hopefully, this will drive business to the WISPs, but I'm not sure
that the consumers are well enough educated to make an informed
decision and in many larger markets the LECs have driven us out of the
picture by providing service for less than their cost.

 - Tony

[1]
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B5A606A5A%2D18D7%2D4FC9%2DA65C%2DC7317BC7E1CB%7D
Original interview from Business Week (registration required):
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_45/b3958092.htm