I am building a wireless infrastructure for the city of Plantation, Florida. Plantation is in the metropolitan area of Ft. Lauderdale and is about a 10 minute drive to down town from where we are working. It seems that all their city owned fiber was taken down by "Wilma" as it was measured to be a Category3 hurricane when it came through here. The trees (Palms, coconuts & Banions mostly) were hit extremely hard and there was little structural damage although there were windows blown out of the higher building around Broward County. The cities infrastructure was brought down to its knees and all of their emergency services (Police depts, Fire Depts...etc) and city Govt buildings have lost all their connectivity to the network - - - - as well as their City parks, water plants and sewer treatment..etc.

It has been a lot of hard work and I havent even seen the Atlantic or the beaches other than from 300' off a tower!! I do have a plan to correct that though in the very near future. We still have 21 City buildings to connect, 1- BH link to finish, 1- 5.x AP ,1- 900MHz AP, 3 - 900 SUs and 1- 2.4 AP with two CPEs before we can take a day off. I hope I can hold out that long as the beach and cold brewskies are calling my name every night :-P This was the first night that I have even had the energy to walk into the pool/hot tub area and I must say that the hot tub was nice - - -and the AmberBock(s) was too!!

I do have some pics posted on flikr - - - - - with more to upload tonight.

Later Gators,

Mac Dearman

Maximum Access, LLC.
www.inetsouth.com
www.radioresponse.org (Katrina relief efforts)
318-728-8600 - Rayville
318-728-9600
318-376-2562 - cell
--

John Scrivner wrote:

Florida? Tell us what's up. What are you doing in Florida ole' Mac Daddy? I have heard of storm chasers but storm followers? That's a new one on me! <ducking>
:-)
Scriv

Hell - - I aint bashful at all. I just bought $30K + from Jason at DoubleRadius for the current job I 'm on in Florida. I will ask my contact at Trango and/or Jason see whats up.