Yes, it should probably rattle.  If you got it to work at all, there
probably isn't any damage that you could detect by shaking it :)  Dell
uses a few different brands of hard drive in their notebooks.  The
Fujitsu and Toshiba drives that I have seen all rattle. In fact my
Toshiba says "RATTLE NOISE IS NORMAL" right on the top sticker...

 - Tony

On 11/27/2005 1:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] created:
[...]
> Anyone have a Dell 8600?
> Will you take the hard drive out and jiggle it?  I want to know it it
> rattles.  Just for peace of mind.  I hope it rattles.
[...]