Mac,

I'm surprised you haven't been able to get funds from the governements to help keep the network going this far along in the game. I recognized that the first two months was gonna have to be donated, but with the network up, I'd think government would kick in at this point to help keep it going. Expecially with Mayors (New Orelans) boasting about their own networks they are building. What steps have you tried to get formal assistance from the governements (local,state, or federal) apposed to just donations? I'm sure this is an issue of time more than anything, (paperwork and grant writing sucks :-( ), but was courious what you've tried so far. As much as I respect what you have done to make all this happen in a time of need, without asking what you'd get in return, sooner or later this project is going to have to get funded to keep it going.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mac Dearman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] How to Authenticate/Protect(Was Ethernet based authentication)

When I first started I used a YDI BCU and still have 2 of them and a Brilan BCU. It authenticates via MAC addy and when I tell you it will absolutely shut down a non paying sub - - believe me it will! It has been my main most method of authentication for the last 4 years. I am moving over to a MAC/IP via radius here pretty quick as I "may" have some subs that have a marginal signal and PPPoE demands a crystal clear and glimmering network connection to avoid trouble for a sub to sign on from what I have gathered over the years.

Butche is the PPPoE/MT king - - he can chime in here and straighten all of us out on everything from wireless wife trouble to the 2nd Advent!! :-)
Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
www.inetsouth.com
www.radioresponse.org (Katrina relief efforts)
318-728-8600 - Rayville
318-728-9600
318-376-2562 - cell

Jason wrote:

Mac,
The PPTP I mentioned is, according to my understanding, the main VPN protocol out there. The reasons I want to avoid it are that the connection has to be initiated through an icon click and the client software for Macintosh is 58$.

Mostly, I am looking to authenticate the users...

Jason

Mac Dearman wrote:

Its called "VPN" Its the most simple thing you can do to provide absolute security with the lowest overhead. If security is your issue - - its about the only way to really protect data transfer. IMHO

Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
www.inetsouth.com
www.radioresponse.org (Katrina relief efforts)
318-728-8600 - Rayville
318-728-9600
318-376-2562 - cell

Jason wrote:

List,

I am on the precipice, ready to take the plunge and become a WISP (After 1 year of zoning, permits, 16 hr days, etc), but one thing still bothers me. I haven't decided how to authenticate clients to my network and REALLY protect their data. The CPE's I will use, rootenna/Senao2611 combos, do only WEP, which only obfuscates data nowadays. MAC addresses can be cloned. Proxy login via a browser is obnoxious for the end user. Ditto PPPoE & VPN logins. There is just no elegant, KISS solution. I was looking at PPPoE or PPTP (poptop/linux) with Radius as my system, since this would accomplish it, but seems like so much trouble and overhead. PPTP is not Mac friendly, PPPoE requires clients (gasp) or a router (gack!) and the PPPoE server shipping with Linux is meant "for testing purposes only - man". I want an Always On (apparently) system for my clients that just works.

How do you other (small) WISPs do this?

Tangent: How do you Senao 2611 users keep Netbios & windows network neighborhood data off the wireless network. I was told to add a SOHO router to the mix, but don't want to invest in more equipment to maintain.

Jason Wallace