From: Mark Nash
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 8:25 PM
Subject: [WISPA] P2P & Worm Monitoring/Alerting/Control

I'm at the point on my network now that I really need to control unnecessary bandwidth usage.  The biggest problem is the p2p users with their excessive upload, and worms come in a close second.

My network is comprised of a Cisco 3640, Cisco C4840G L3 switch for segmenting, and Dell 3324 managed switches.  I have run ntop in the past but I believe it only reports interactively through the web interface.  I wouldn't consider myself too far off from obtaining an SNMP station/software like SNMPc.

I'm needing to implement a solution that will monitor, alert on, and control this type of traffic.  Either not pass it or rate-limit it.  I'm interested in solutions that have been implemented, home-grown, tested, failed, etc.

Thanks in advance...

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net