To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:43 AM
Subject: .ppt for FCC

Here is report I gave to my customers:

I was fortunate to be chosen as one of five owners of Wireless Internet
Service Providers (WISP) in the United States to speak to the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC).  I represented the WISPA and was the only
attendee from the Western United States, quite an honor.  The meetings
that we attended were at the FCC headquarters in Washington DC.

This included meetings with Commissioner Adelstein, Chairman Martin's
Legal Counsel and a board of staffers from the office of engineering and
technology.  They made up the WBAT Wireless Broadband Access Task Force
Policy and Technology divisions including the Chief of Staff.  We met in a
series of one on one meetings and then finished with power point
presentations that we prepared for the board.  This meeting was supposed
to last one and a half hours but ran up to four hours as they had a lot of
questions.

We face some stiff competition from the Cable and Telephone companies plus
some new competition from corporations who use licensed frequencies.  The
Commission is interested in the "little guy" because the feeling in the
industry is that we are the innovators and corporations rarely are.  We
brought Voice over IP telephones, IP Television and of course the original
Internet when the big corporations thought the Internet would be a passing
fad.  In other words we have their ear.  Plus we only come once a year
while the corporation's lobbyist feed them false information.

Among the issues we discussed was our constant need for more bandwidth
spectrum to keep providing more connections.  The feeling at first was the
FCC was appeasing us with a frequency that was shared with everyone else
and in fact could have been easily overpowered legally by other types of
users.  We have been very successful in providing Wireless Internet in
rural areas where President Bush really wants it.  The Corporations have
stopped their expansion as soon building out didn't recoup the investment,
therefore the FCC is giving us more secure frequencies all the time and we
asked for even more.  Another issue is power; in the wide-open West we
have to go greater distance in order to reach areas like White Pass,
Rimrock and the Nile.  The current one-watt radio won't do that.  In the
Southeast the WISP's said they couldn't have antenna dish's larger than
three feet or a hurricane could pull an antenna mast down.  Something I
had never thought of.  With higher power we don't have to use a large dish
but can make dozens of miles.

Other issues included expanding the "Over the Air Devices Rule" (OTAR) for
Satellite Dishes to Wireless Internet was discussed, securing the new
frequencies to be vendor neutral so competitive pricing can prevail, the
allowance of Wireless Broadband in the 700 MHZ frequencies referred to as
TV White space for heavily vegetated or hilly areas and, preference of
smaller WISP's access to regional purchase of licensed spectrum to prevent
corporations from lease and squatting in order to limit our natural
growth.  We also covered a reporting form being established by the FCC to
track the number of Americans using Broadband Internet.

Lastly we spoke of deployment of Emergency High Speed Networks after
disasters like Hurricanes.  The commission was interested to receive
feedback from hurricane Katrina and how after WISP's from across the
country helped New Orleans the city decided as one of their first action
to put up their own public wireless network.  This essentially shut out
the network that was put up to help them by private providers.  This
information helped the FCC understand how municipal Wireless networks
compete and interfere with successful private networks.

Finally, prior to the trip, we notified our complete congressional
representatives that we were coming.  I am pleased to say US
Representative Doc Hastings office was happy to provide a one on one
meeting in order to discuss our issues just like they have been in the
past.  Unfortunately Senator Patty Murray and Senator Maria Cantwell felt
our trip to Washington DC did not warrant the courtesy of a visit or even
a return email.  I say this just to let you know who really cares about
Central Washington.

Forbes Mercy
President - Northwest Info Net, Inc.
President - Washington Broadband, Inc.