Tom DeReggi wrote:

I disagree. Your view is old school, and todays a new world. The trend is that people want to know when their messages are not successfully delivered to the recipient. Its a have it right now world. Sending mail to a backup queuem waiting for the recipient to come back up, is a disservice to the recipient and the sender. They'd rather just know the message didn't get through, and they know they must call up the subscriber instead.

Secondly, having backup MX records for store and forward servers can create a horrible open door for Spammers.

I totally agree, backup MX records hurt about as much as they help.

Jeremy