Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:58:47 -0500
From: Brian Rohrbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] INSURANCE NOW canopy prices
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>

I have never done a group buy, but this is how I would approach it.

First step.  Principal Members only.  You want a deal, fork over 200
some bucks and support the industry.
Second step.  Find 10 people who want ten units.  (500 if possible,

but

prolly 100 pack to start)
Third step.  Go to moto website and look up resellers.
fourth step.  Call resellers and get quote.  Say "look here.  I have a
buying group.  I want 100 SMs, charged to 10 credit cards and shipped

10 addresses.  Send me a quote to email"  Forward quote to next

reseller

and go from there.  Whoever is cheaper wins.  If they want the

business

of the buying group, they better figure out how to cut a deal.  Am I
acting like a know it all Charles?  Would all the resellers say screw
you if I approached like this?
If all resellers say we can't do this.....then I would (big trust

here)

run all cards through paypal and pay with one lump sum and re ship

from

here.  Now add the 1.9% for paypal and add more for extra
shipping....don't know what that would be, but it would be figured
before hand.

I just made all that up, but it seems like it would work.  Only

question

is how warranty is handled.  By MAC addy or by who bought the radio.

Someone let me know if my approach is out of line.  Never done this

and

might be reinventing the wheel (I hope it rolls)

Brian

A. Huppenthal wrote:

Charles,

I know you don't support the idea of group buys. Enough said. Fact

is

I've done group buys with high-end equipment before - it wasn't
difficult at all. If you are comparing a public distributor to a
closed membership buying club, you aren't comparing apples to

apples.

I sure as hell don't want to create a distributor organization.

However, as our discussion continues, I might be willing to send

Jim,

George, Brian or whomever offers a group buy $2600 for 10 Canopy SMs
if the buy is 100 units and we're all lined up. I don't need

support,

training, stocking, any of the services that distributors offer.
Frankly, I don't need my distributor under cutting me to sell direct
to customers. You have your pros and cons for going to distributors
for *everything*. Certainly what's being discussed here isn't
pretending to create a distributor that has *everything*..

Frankly I think the board with the exception of myself, uniformly
doesn't support group buys.

The buyers create the relatonship for the purpose of the buy, it

ends

when the product is delivered.

Charles Wu wrote:

<snip>
You would think it would work that way, but Volume Buying ends up
eating the organization and the organization becomes caught up in
being a volume club.
</snip>

We all know that there's more to a WISP than just putting up an AP

and

getting a T1 line

Having run both a WISP and a distribution company, I can personally
attest
to the fact that there's more to distribution (which is what your
proposing)
than breaking up a 500 pack amongst WISP

Have you considered all the risks / implications that the buying

group

faces? For starters, there's the question of payment -- given that

the

buying group has no / limited credit, chances are that any vendor

will

require cash up front for the purchase

So, for example, say Motorola Canopy is the product WISPA chooses
Then WISPA / Buying Group needs to come up w/ $100k to purchase

that 500

pack (at say, $200 / unit for simplicity's sake)
Then, WISPA / Buying Group needs to come up w/ a warehouse to store
stuff
Then, WISPA / Buying Group needs to come up w/ a shipper/logistics
guy to
repackage / ship stuff

On top of that, chances are, 50% of the WISPs who committed to
purchasing
the packs will renege and/or delay their deliveries due to

unforseen

things
that always happen in deployments (e.g.,  lightning, customers

don't

sign
on, interference from competitor, DSL coming to town)

So now, WISPA / Buying Group needs to hire a sales guy to sell

excess

units

Now, you've added overhead (and you need to add an administrative

fee /

margin to compensate)

In the meantime, either

1. Motorola to announce a 50% price reduction in their Canopy line,
and all
WISPA members now wanting the new lower price (therefore causing a

huge

loss)
2. Trango (or some other company) to come out w/ the new "flavor of

the

month" and no one wanting the inventory anymore, sticking WISPA w/

$100k

worth of boat anchors

-Charles

CWLab