I would echo Pauls sentiments, exactly.

StarOS has been great for me, and seems to get the most out of the hardware that I run it on. I have some WAR boards, but they are not in production yet - I'm waiting for v3 to be ported over before putting them up. There are three things that I really like about StarOS:

1) Reliability - The code is stable and almost every single failure I have had with AP or backhaul radios has been something to do with the hardware it was running on. Sometimes it can be a little sensitive, but generally it is very good and provides excellent troubleshooting information for a hardware related failure

2) Versatility - You can run it like a regular bridged AP, you can route individual subnets to each card, you can do bandwidth control at the AP, you can run DNS/DHCP/OSPF/Squid/Hotspot etc etc right there at the AP. I believe most of these features are in Mikrotik as well, so just consider that to be plusses for both of them.

3) Ease of Use - The StarOS interface is very straightforward and full of excellent tools and documentation examples. I have taught several "green" techs how to run it in a very short period of time. The Mikrotik interface - not so easy. You can do a lot of basic stuff with Winbox on the Mikrotik, but the text-based interface harks back to the days of Cisco IOS for me. I don't really feel a strong need to go back there.

One other important reason for preferring StarOS is that it has an excellent driver for the Orinoco/Lucent chipset cards. I don't believe Mikrotik has one. Someone recently told me that using the Orinoco chipset cards was "sooooo 1999", but the combination of a Lucent card with a YDI amplifier has been extremely stable for me and provides excellent results especially in long range and high-noise environments. For my environment, there is simply no better card/amp combination. And it works best in StarOS.

I do like Mikrotik a lot - in fact my core router is a Mikrotik. It has a lot of routing features that StarOS doesn't have, and works great for that. I know that a lot of people are also using it for AP and CPE as well, with plenty of success. We are very fortunate to have tools like these available to us.

Matt Larsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul Hendry wrote:

Hey Ron and happy Crimbo to you all,

Ah, that old chestnut. I think this question has been asked on every forum and list I have ever been on. In general, StarOS has always come out on top in any point-to-point and point-to-multipoint tests we have done even with Mikrotik running nstreme. Certainly on the WRAP platform StarOS is able to pass almost double the traffic than Mikrotik before the CPU becomes the issue. I believe Mikrotik have significantly improved the wireless driver in the latest test wireless package but haven’t had a chance to test it yet. StarVX running on the new WAR boards is amazingly fast and we have seen wireless throughput tests on the 4 port board that outperforms both Mikrotik and StarOS running on P4 systems. However, there are several bugs in StarVX which has caused Valemount to give up development of StarVX and port there upcoming V3 StarOS to the WAR platform. Unfortunately, there is expected to be a bit of a performance hit with this L

RouterOS does have a lot more features than StarOS and features like vlan support are much better with Mikrotik. The main gripe with Mikrotik is the support and attitude however this seems to be improving too.

Because they both have pro’s and con’s we use StarOS/VX for all wireless links (inc. CPE’s) and Mikrotik for core routers, traffic shapers, etc.

Cheers,

P.