Around here most peoples option is DIAL-UP or me. I don't consider
this area poor. A lot of farms. People living out in the rural area
and drive to their factory jobs/whatever. I have a hard time getting
them to pay $199 install and 34.95/month for 768k. I don't know how
your gonna charge $50/month to people living in trailers.

-Kurt

> There is a town (Yorktown, TX)  with about 1200 people in it, about
15
> miles away from our main pop in our county. We have not pursued a
> backhaul to there, or putting out a POP. We are very busy putting
subs
> on our existing POPs and maintaining them.We have been offered roof
> rights in down town in trade for free internet.
> The town is poorer than average (way more mobile homes than
frame/brick
> homes, more people than average on welfare, etc)
> The town is smaller than average, and there aren't many businesses
in
> the town.
>
> Nonetheless, we do get at least a new call a week from the 20 or so
> people in town interested in broadband. There is no competition,
EXCEPT
> dsl in the 2 mile circle right in the middle of downtown (not within
> most of the population)
>
> What we were thinking is this: Let us create a wireless cooperative
and
> let the 20 potential subs buy shares for $500 each. The $10k will
buy
> them a wireless backhaul (to my main tower), an AP tower, and an AP,
20
> (coop owned) CPE, and enough manpower for us to deploy. The $40/mo
(x1.5
> for business customers) that they each pay will go toward buy
bandwidth
> from us, pay for the manpower needed to deal with service calls,
etc.
> Any profits left at the end of the year (over a capital equipment
fund)
> get split with the coop members in the form of a dividend check, and
> maybe a barbeque. Maybe the non-coop member subscriber rate could be
> $49.00 (x1.5 for business) and they would still pay a $200 setup
fee.
> Coop members wouldn't need to be subscribers, and subscribers
wouldn't
> need to be coop members. A part time bookeeper would be needed to
keep
> everything straight, although we could just keep those records with
our
> books, but they should be audited anually.
>
> The Dewitt County Producers Coop is a feed store that sells feed,
ranch
> supplies, baby chicks, baby fish (for stock tanks), tractor tires
and
> parts, and other farm-ey stuff. Members and non-members can buy
there,
> though members get an annual dividend based on their purchases (2%
or
> something). Its a large operation, but DeWitt County is like the 4th
> largest beef cattle producing county in Texas (the largest beef
cattle
> producing state). They have been very successful, in spite of having
> competition, and I think a wireless internet deployment could be
> financially modeled the same way. Its not that I don't want to get
the
> profits for myself, but the return on a $10k (or $20k) deployment
could
> be several years in a market that small.
>
> Anyone else doing anything like this?
>
> Pete Davis
> NoDial.net

Kurt Fankhauser