So, can I use a radio capable of more than the legal limit as long as I turn it down to a legal level programatically?

Yes, that is correct.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] FCC regs question

So, can I use a radio capable of more than the legal limit as long as I turn it down to a legal level programatically?

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Jason,

1. My ap with 3 separate 120deg sectors and radios is limited to 1 watt EIRP per sector/radio, because it is PtMP.

No. Each AP radio/antenna combination is allowed a total of 36 db EIRP (4watt). (radio itself not to exceed 30 db + additional antenna 6 db, however no reason radio power can't be less and antenna power more. )

2.  My cpe's get the 3 to 1 rule because they are PtP

Right?

Correct.

More questions:

1. What about using types of antennas that are not certified with the radio, ie, sectors where no sector is approved? This is not so clear.

Its been ruled that you know longer need to use a certified antenna, as long as the substituted antenna is of equivellent design of certified antennas, and of lesser gain. Responsibility to broadcast at proper levels is not removed. You are then taking that responsibility that you are personally certifying the antenna is within the limits and specification.

2. Where can I determine the types of antennas that have been certified with a given radio?

Contact the manufacturer. Also you can look up the FCCID of the radio. I believe they list the antennas that were certified with it by manufacturer.

Tom DeReggi

Jason

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Its spelled out towards the end of the document.

30 db max radio power + 6 db antenna. PTP 3 to 1 rule applies, to use use much larger antennas at CPE side, and every 3 db antenna gain, minus 1 db radio gain at CPE side.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>