Just out of interest, has anyone set-up VoIP peering with others in
different countries for cheaper international call termination?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Liotta
Sent: 05 January 2006 21:55
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] VOIP on a shoestring

Matt Larsen - Lists wrote:

> Perhaps we have a disconnect.  I am advocating that the business
> continue to use ILEC or CLEC lines for their fax services.
> I'm not managing the backend for the fax lines for the customers that
> I am talking about.  A large business in my area, is 10 or more
> employees.  This is a very rural area, but with many of the same needs
> as a larger business.  Having a separate bill for the fax line is not
> a big deal to them.

If the businesses are happy to have a mixed solution like that then go
ahead and sell it. That sort of thing doesn't fly in our market.

> You are right, this solution is not 911 compliant.  Neither is service
> from Nufone, Teliax, Voipjet, Stanaphone or hundreds of other VOIP
> carriers out there.   The question of the degree of 911 compliance is
> very much up in the air right now because the FCC's requirement is
> basically unenforceable.  Skype is not compliant, and yet there are
> millions of people on their service.  As far as I'm concerned, all of
> the hoopla around 911 compliance is BS that is out there to scare
> people out of the voip business and tie up the resources of the people
> who are in it.  The model I put together never touches the PSTN, it is
> purely data - no different than Skype or MSN messenger with voice
> enabled or Xbox live with players talking to each other.  The
> distinction of what consitutes "911 capable phone service over IP"
> has not been made yet and will not be made for some time.

You can argue the FCC's 911 requirement all your want, but nevertheless
it is there and they can fine you. If you believe the risk is
justifiable based on your revenue projections then by all means go ahead
with it.

> Tying up valuable financial resources into an early stage market like
> this and expecting to make a large committment without guaranteed
> revenue possibilities is insanity.   Committments also reduce
> flexibility, and that is a key to the success of the small ISP/WISP
> operator.  If someone comes out with .5 cents a minute or lower
> termination for low volumes, I will be able to switch my outbound
> service to that provider with a couple of configuration changes.  You
> are going to be stuck with your committment, and if they can't deliver
> the same thing you will be out of luck.  It's like signing a four year
> contract for Internet backbone at todays rates.  The people who did
> that in 2003 are now paying twice as much for bandwidth as people who
> didn't sign long term contracts and maintained their flexibility.

You don't need to sign a four year or large minute commitment to get
$0.005 per minute termination. Our wholesale customers average $0.002 to
$0.009 per minute depending on call patterns and markets served with no
commitment.

-Matt