Hello Marlon,

At 100 bucks a month for USF, I could drop fiber into each customer
and scrap my wireless altogether.  And that would be a kick ass
network!

Barry

MKS592> I had a call the other day from someone at the
MKS592> Congressional Budget Office.
MKS592> It *looks* like there is a move afoot to expand USF to broadband.

MKS592> I believe this would only be a good thing for the market.

MKS592> Out here the telco gets $109 per month per phone line.  And they
require a
MKS592> phone line for DSL service.

MKS592> So $15 per phone line.
MKS592> $30 per dsl.
MKS592> $109 per line in usf funds.

MKS592> Nearly $160 per month per sub.  And I get $35.  Oh joy!

MKS592> Now if I could get $109 too!  At nearly 300 subs
MKS592> today....  Man could I put
MKS592> in a nice network!  And afford to go where others aren't going yet.

MKS592> And the value of a wisp would REALLY shoot through the roof.

MKS592> I'm not a big fan of government meddling but one of two things has to
happen
MKS592> here.  Either they drop usf (most rural telcos would fold so this is
MKS592> unlikely) or expand it to include us and cable and sat.  Like it or not,
MKS592> government funding was used for electrification,
MKS592> phones, roads etc.  If the
MKS592> competition is going to get subsidized, we should to.

MKS592> WISPA needs to support this move.  In a big way.
MKS592> Marlon
MKS592> (509) 982-2181                                   Equipment sales
MKS592> (408) 907-6910 (Vonage)                    Consulting services
MKS592> 42846865 (icq)                                    And I run my own wisp!
MKS592> 64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
MKS592> www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
MKS592> www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

MKS592> ----- Original Message -----
MKS592> From: "Blair Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MKS592> To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
MKS592> Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:08 PM
MKS592> Subject: [WISPA] USF tax changes?

>> Does WISPA have a stand on this?
>>
>> http://techrepublic.com.com/2100-1035-5959140.html?tag=nl.e550
>>
>> As one who has built my network without any public money, I have no
>> interest in collecting special taxes.  I have more than enough paperwork
>> now...
>>
>> I also don't want my competitors to get government money to build their
>> networks.  But locally, I have found out that they are getting government
>> grants to expand into my area.  Having seen their install rates, monthly
>> fees and tower provisioning costs, they would not be making any money if
>> they did not have the government footing the bill.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Blair Davis
>> West Michigan Wireless ISP
>> 269-686-8648
>>

>> --

Best regards,
 Barry                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]