From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Scrivner
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:00 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Legal Radio and Antenna Combos - Arethere anyin
existance?

I can tell you from past experience it is a good idea to find a good
brand and use it. One of the things I learned at the WCA show a couple
of weeks ago was that if you want to have a business worth selling later

you had better consider using one high-quality well-known platform
instead of a hodge-podge of radio solutions. Alvarion is definitely one
of those "good" brands. There are others but I am betting that many out
there would choose to go with Alvarion from the start if they had it all

to do over again. With that said I will not discount the value I have
seen in others out there like Trango, Tranzeo, Waverider, Mikrotik,
Star-OS, etc. The trouble is though that it is rare to find one brand
with one management interface (All FCC System Certified as well) for all

the different platforms you will need as a WISP. With Alvarion (and few
if any others) you can literally build your entire network on one
trusted platform. I went to an Alvarion sponsored conference on WiMAX
triple play offerings in Washington D.C last week. that was very
informative but was NOT the reason I said what I did about Alvarion.
There was a company who specialized in WISP acquisitions at the WCA show

that described the most important factors in determining the value of a
company. One of the negatives about WISP operations was generally the
frequent use of a "hodge-podge" of different incompatible platforms of
radios. They stated this was a very big problem for WISP valuations.
They said that using one good brand of radios was a good way to make
your system worth its highest value. Just some food for thought here
guys. Especially anyone who might have funding but is new to running a
WISP. Rolling your own solution is not always the best way to go and can

actually hurt your efforts in many cases. Find a good brand and stick to

it.
Scriv

1/30/2006