----- Original Message -----
From: "John Scrivner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] It's been a long road

> Mark wrote:
>
> >I honestly am beginning to question my move into the WISP business...
seems
> >there's hardly a soul out there that sees danger in jumping on the
"regulate
> >me and give me money" bandwagon...
> >

> This bandwagon is being built without your input because you will not
> participate. The regulation of any communications industry is inevitable
> in this country. The Part-15 rules that govern the use of spectrum are
> in fact regulations. The "Part" is referring to Part-15 of the Code of
> Federal Regulations if memory serves me. You cannot hide from
> regulation. It will not go away. The best you can do is steer the people
> who make the regulations to do the right thing whenever possible.

That's right.  But that regulation allows non-interactive use of the
spectrum.   In other words, I don't have to request to be able to use it.  I
am bound by the same laws that everyone else is, but have equal opportunity
for use.

> The regulators will not serve your needs exclusively as that is not
> their job. Public officials are supposed to do their best to support the
> public good and will do whatever they see fit to do so.

Well...  Let me re-phrase this a bit.  They will do what serves thier stated
goals and still keeps them in compliance with the directives of the
politicians that write thier laws for them.   They are unelected, but they
are to carry out the goals and wishes of those who have been.   "Supporting
the public good" is about the least of thier concerns, unless it is the
concern of those they work for - the politicians.    This isn't to impugn
the FCC or any public official, it's just a slightly cynical method of
describing exactly who they answer to and why and how.

 This includes
> monitoring the growth and access to broadband across the country,
> setting rules and regulations to govern communications, imposing taxes
> when they see fit, enforcing rules and regulations, establishing funding
> opportunities for infrastructure build-out, leveling the economic models
> of rural verses metro broadband access. You cannot start a lobbying
> organization to help structure the direction of your industry and then
> ask those you are lobbying to just ignore you and leave you alone. It is
> not the way the world works. Like it or not, you are regulated now and
> have been all along.

The way I see it, a lobbying effort is not one to beg to be regulated
more... but to defend and promote our interests.   I don't understand why
we're so happy to jump into this "registration" to be a WISP.   It's now
illegal to provide broadband without registering yourself with the FCC.
That's one MINUTE step to only allowing "qualified" people to be WISP's and
so on.    That is NOT in our interests.    I mean, do you really understand
the implications of this?   It is illegal to provide broadband without
FEDERAL REGISTRATION.  Yup, if I buy a connection and hook up my block, I AM
BREAKING THE LAW.   That's extreme and excessive intrusion into my, your,
and every other ISP's business.  And yes, thousands of people are now
breaking federal law... and I cannot believe that WISPA should roll over and
play dead on this.   We should defend the notion that federal intrusion is
NOT welcome.   Do they want or need more demographic data?   Fine.   Let's
have WISPA help do this, but KEEP IT CONFIDENTIAL.   The last thing I want
is the feds telling me my chosen occupation is only at thier pleasure and
whim.

All we're doing is helping them kill us, when it serves the purposes of the
politicians they work for.     We SHOULD participate.   That should be
apparent, by the fact I'm willing to support WISPA,  actively participated
in the debates before its formation, and now contribute what is for me, a
considerable financial investment to support it.  One can hardly accuse me
of not wanting to participate in the process.

What I don't understand, is why am I the only person who has massive alarms
going off in his head at the  direction WISPA apparently seems to support?

It seems debate consists of calling anyone who disagrees with the idea
"non-participating" or some other debate squelcher.

> As far as funding is concerned there is money available. People are
> getting it. You can too if you ask for it. The money is going to go to
> somebody. It might as well be you.

Funding?   My concern isn't about funding.   It's about regulation.   And
ingratiating yourself by supporting excessive regulation and intrusion will
get US precisely nothing good.    Are we that money oriented, that we'll
stick our head in the federal guillotine for a chance at a few dollars?    I
won't.  No way.   I will and have found other ways of achieving my goals,
other than getting in bed with the government.    There should be a debate
about USF funding...  Should be a dialog with the FCC, with lobbyists, with
Congress, even...  And find a way to ensure that pursuing USF money doesn't
kill us by inviting ourselves into the spider's web, and if it can't,
lobbying AGAINST the idea of the feds being able to regulate broadband
access.

If, in the future, this ruins us all..I will find and remind you all of
this.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-