Dustin Jurman wrote:

If the spectrum analyzer is left in place for a period of time and setup
with "peak hold" you will quickly find that radio that is used at the end of
the day. It still speaks, handshakes and more.

I don't know about you but I'm not about to leave a spectrum analyzer 180' up a tower for any period of time.

Just setting up big shots and blowing people out is bad business for
everyone.
I am not saying to blow people out of the water with power. I am saying to make sure you have ample power and gain to supply a solid signal. Running at -78 on a link is not a solid signal in my mind. We only use equipment where we can control the power. We don't run full bore unlike alot of WISP operators. We don't plug radios like Motorola Canopy units into omni's. And my opinion is if I blow that guy off the air, so be it. It was not properly engineered to begin with. It was finacially engineered to get by cheap.

If the customer wants a quality shot then there should be no
problem doing a spectrum analysis, freq decision and installation shortly
after.

But the point is moot if Johnny O comes along on your channel tomorrow and blows you off the air (I am only using him as an example). Then the customer is all pissy because he spent money for spectrum analysis that was totally moot.

I agree it's only good for a certain amount of time, but if the customer
wants a reliable shot then due diligence is better than chance luck.

I don't think a properly engineered link is chance luck. We don't just pick a channel out of thin air and go with it. Alot of engineering goes into it. Spectrum analysis is just not a factor 99.999 percent of the time.

-B-

Dustin

--
Bob Moldashel