----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Moldashel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Flawed Spectrum Analysis (I think!)

Cliff Leboeuf wrote:

Dustin, thanks for the encouraging support of my efforts.
Since we have been hired for part of this project, I believe it is my
RESPONSIBILITY to point out any known issues to the customer; and, it is
my responsibility to back up my concerns with hard date, not just 'my
feelings.' In the event that the data doesn't show what I know to be in
the area, I will at lease be on record for making them aware of other
5Ghz RF in the overlapping areas.

I am interested in any information that you are willing to supply for my
education.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback and discussion in my topic.
- Cliff

Cliff,

I can appreciate that you want to give your customer hard data. That is understandable. But you also need to have a list of conditions and presumptions as well as exceptions.

Make sure the customer understands that the spectrum analysis is only good for the date it was taken and does not guarantee interference free operation in the future. The last thing you need is to have the customer pay you to do an analysis today and deploy 90 days from now only to find issues.

Great point. We ALWAYS do this. And we also ALWAYS do a spectrum analysys. Sure we'll miss things, there's a LOT out there these days. Conditions also change, sometimes between when we do the SA check and deploy hardware. However, we USUALLY learn a great deal about what's an option and what's not ahead of time. It's pretty rare that we miss enough that we have to back up and start all over with a system design.

And I think that you can readily admit that there is a HUGE difference between running ptp links and ptmp links as far as interference exposure is concerned. Most of our stuff is ptmp so we HAVE to look at much greater areas.

I DO know you and the amazing things you've done. I still say you are a bad boy! (in more ways than one, cackle)

Cliff, you are very much on the right track. You need to tell them what you know so they can make informed dicisions. I'd rather loose a customer because they didn't want to hear what I had to say than keep one that's not happy.

marlon

Otherwise...good luck with your customer.

-B-

--
Bob Moldashel
Lakeland Communications, Inc.