On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 10:17 -0500, Bob Moldashel wrote:
Dustin Jurman wrote:

>If the spectrum analyzer is left in place for a period of time and setup
>with "peak hold" you will quickly find that radio that is used at the end of
>the day. It still speaks, handshakes and more.

I don't know about you but I'm not about to leave a spectrum analyzer
180' up a tower for any period of time.

>Just setting up big shots and blowing people out is bad business for
>everyone.

I am not saying to blow people out of the water with power. I am saying
to make sure you have ample power and gain to supply a solid signal.
Running at -78 on a link is not a solid signal in my mind.  We only use
equipment where we can control the power. We don't run full bore unlike
alot of WISP operators. We don't plug radios like Motorola Canopy units
into omni's. And my opinion is if I blow that guy off the air, so be
it.  It was not properly engineered to begin with. It was finacially
engineered to get by cheap.

I would have to agree here with Bob - Anyone engineering their links properly are going to use the best antennas with the narrowest beamwidth possible to mitigate any current or future interference. In my mind, an antenna that has 8deg beamwidth for a critical link is absolutely ignorant.

>If the customer wants a quality shot then there should be no
>problem doing a spectrum analysis, freq decision and installation shortly
>after.

But the point is moot if Johnny O comes along on your channel tomorrow
and blows you off the air (I am only using him as an example).  Then the
customer is all pissy because he spent money for spectrum analysis that
was totally moot.
And this again is where the man with the better antennas will win hands down everytime. Even with a noisly spectrum in the area, lf you're using good antennas, chances are you'll knock someone down before they knock you down. It doesn't matter who was where first, what matters is that you run your own business or that of your customers with the most attention to mitigation of interference.

JohnnyO

>I agree it's only good for a certain amount of time, but if the customer
>wants a reliable shot then due diligence is better than chance luck.

I don't think a properly engineered link is chance luck. We don't just
pick a channel out of thin air and go with it. Alot of engineering goes
into it. Spectrum analysis is just not a factor 99.999 percent of the time.

-B-

--
Bob Moldashel
Lakeland Communications, Inc.