What's with all the question marks on the spec sheet?

Brian, we see this more and more. Low traffic sites will do many things well because there just isn't any RF when there aren't many customers. So tests work very nicely....

Antennas are a HUGE part of what makes your network tick. Cheap ones will bite ya in the tail every time. ESPECIALLY when there are many others around.

The rule of thumb is that you should keep your antennas at least 10' apart. Alvarion did a test a few years back. On the same roof with the same ap's they used 3 or 4 different sectors. With the high end ones (read $$$$$$) they could get as close as 6' before the radios started to take a lot of errors. With the cheap ones they had to have 15 feet! Antennas were the only things changed. This test was done at a wisp but by the factory techs. I'll bet Patrick or Brad would remember more specifics.

If you aren't sure if that's the case you should just try moving one of the sectors as far away as you can get. If that helps, you know you are onto something.

I've been pulling out my $120 Maxrad sectors and putting in the $400 Maxrad ones. ALL 4 of the sites that have the cheaper ones do strange things. Reliability is wayyyyy below my other sites. Swapped the first one out the other day, we'll see how things go. The worst part of it is that they seem to affect the systems around them in a bad way too.

As an FYI, I do NOT buy antennas, from anyone, that are hard to weather seal. There's just no reason for those guys to give us anything that we have to fight with.

Going through trees etc. will cause all manner of strange things. The only way to really know if that's your problem vs. the other one is to shut two sectors down and see if that makes the one sector work better. If not, then you have an outside source of interference, too much nlos, too many customers for the system, bad antennas or something. If shutting the others down works, then you can be pretty sure you need to redesign the tower or replace a bad antenna or three.

Hope this helps,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless