Hey Scott,

By no means am I attempting to dig this up again but there are 2 trains of thought that have been brought out on this list. One is to file and let the Commission know they exist and the other is to fly under the radar. Some say letting the FCC (and others) know they exist could bring positive or negative results. Flying under the radar (providing there are no penaltys) and not reporting is another option.

Giving up spectrum is not something that happens much anymore without an auction. Wisp numbers are not the only thing that will drive new unlicensed spectrum releases. Manufacturers lobbying, municipal systems, colleges and universities needs, scientific and research spectrum requirements for data. These are all things that will drive unlicensed spectrum releases IMHO if and when they happen.

Now....back to my question. What happens to the provider that doesn't file???? Anyone care to suggest/project/assume/state what the official punishment is? I know what it is for the "others" (LEC's , CLEC's, Cable Operators) but what about the unlicensed operator? And what about the local university that provides "broadband" for the student for free or at a reduced rate?? Do they need to file??

Hmmm..........

-B-

Scott Reed wrote:

One penalty for not filing impacts all of us, filers or not, less attention on our needs from the FCC. Why would the commissioners agree to give us much needed spectrum, rules we can live with, new options in radio/antenna combinations, etc., when there are so few willing to stand up and be counted.

Please, file honestly.  I need your "vote" for the above things.

Scott Reed
Owner
NewWays
Wireless Networking