So how much spectum is needed? 24ghz is fairly clean, 60 ~ 70 is very clean. The problem is NOT the lack of spectrum. It is the lack of gear for the spectrum that would do well for mesh. Low range (oh noes low range!) high bandwidth and low noise. The short range will help with self interferance a lot. The 7ghz (yes, seven ghz of band space) is enough for 56 100mhz channels that are non over lapping channels with a 12.5mhz upper/lower gard band, then toss in cross pol. Ive seen some gear for this band but it is to costly right now for what it does. We need a SoC with 2 or 4 radios, 50~100mhz per radiowith a 2nd seup with
2 ~4 radios ad 200~400mhz per radio.

Jeromie

Jack Unger wrote:

Brian,

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. The high noise levels combined with not enough license-free frequency space combined with unrealistically high traffic-handling expectations is going to doom most public Wi-Fi-based municipal networks to extinction while at the same time, polluting the license-free spectrum that a responsible, RF-smart, wireless ISP could have used to deliver reliable service to some subset (limited by the available license-free frequency space) of that city's citizens.

Maybe the RF-smart WISPs will decide to reach out to their cities and make a case for working together to improve public wireless broadband access. If WISPs don't work with their city, then the city usually turns to a mesh vendor who will, in most cases, promise more than the technology (for the reasons you pointed out) can deliver. Even worse, large cities are turning to the Earthlinks and Googles of the world, as if the Earthlink or Google name is somehow going to bend physics and make these networks work. A big corporate name, as we all should know by now, does not change the way that RF propagates, or the way that interference and spectrum pollution slows down network performance.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,
                                      jack

Brian Webster wrote:

Jack,
    Let me jump in with some more thoughts on wireless mesh:

I agree with you that RF engineering and RF limitations are not being fully
considered in most mesh deployments. Most mesh designs I have seen are
theory based and assume the full use of the unlicensed spectrum at hand.
This will never be the case and therefore limits the overall capacity. I saw an RFP from the city of Miami Beach and they had done a pre-survey of the city and found the noise floor at 2.4 GHz at -70 db in most areas. Now how
is one going to deploy a mesh network with the ability to overcome that?
Typical answer is build more nodes closer to each other so these PDAs and
laptops get enough signal. This ignores the fact that all of these close
spaced nodes then create more noise for each other because they are mounted at a height where they hear each other. In high density nodes even having 2 hops will bring these networks to their knees. There is not enough spectrum to make it work and be able to load the network up. An 802.11b based system can not deal with the hidden node problem effectively enough. Even if you do
have all the internode traffic on other frequencies at the high density
placement required in most cities, the spectrum limits are still a big issue to have the channels to link all the nodes. I would still like to hear of a
mesh network from any manufacturer that has been deployed and has a high
density of users that are the kids of today. I want to see what bit torrent, VOIP and audio streaming do to a mesh in multiple hops. While we can make
the argument that those services can be limited, that is only a band-aid
approach as today's society is going to expect to be able to use these
services in one form or another, it may take a while but it will be
necessary. The cellular companies are already creating the expectation for this kids to be able to audio stream on demand. If someone has knowledge of
a loaded mesh network please let me know. Don't get me wrong, I love the
idea of mesh and wish it could work and want to see it work. It's just that I've been in ham radio since 1989 and was in to the packet radio technology, we as hams built networks where we dealt with all of these issues (I know it was only 1200 baud but the problems remain). There are two major problems in mesh from my viewpoint. One, if you have a carrier sense based collision avoidance system, you always have limited capacity because only one radio
can talk at a time (part of the HDX problem). Two, if you do not have a
carrier sense based system then you can overcome noise with a stronger
signal. This causes cell site shrinkage or breathing and changes the
coverage area. Most people deal with this by building transmitters closer to each other, problem is that there is limited unlicensed spectrum which is
not enough room for most systems to deal with this.
I really would like to see mesh work and hope to be proven wrong. There is
a lot of promise in mesh implementations out there but until I have seen
them under residential internet use loads I remain skeptical.

Thank You,
Brian Webster
www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>