Steve, DFS. Dynamic Frequency Selection. Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Stroh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:19 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 5.4 very close now

Rick:

I think you're confused with 3.65 GHz (still in the works, FCC proposed
"contention-based" sharing mechanism.)

This is an additional 255 MHz of spectrum around 5.4 GHz and IT
requires Dynamic Frequency Sharing (I think?) - DFS - basically if the
radio hears a US DOD RADAR system, it changes channels to get out of
the way.

It's low power, but some interesting gear should come out for
high-bandwidth, relatively short-range.

Mac:

It IS "available to everyone" - we'll see it used for WLANs. Good news
is that it may well be enough to "encourage" WLANs and cordless phones
to use that portion of the spectrum instead of 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

Thanks,

Steve

On Mar 6, 2006, at 08:47, Rick Harnish wrote:

> Mac,
>
> As far as I know, the hardware/software has to be contention based to
> be
> allowed to use the spectrum.  I would doubt if many consumer devices
> will be
> allowed to operate in this spectrum.
>
> I can tell you that Orthogon has already released the firmware upgrade
> for
> the Gemini product to be used for the 5.4 Spectrum.
> http://www.orthogonsystems.com/support/software.html
>
> I just sent an email to them about the release date for the Spectra
> upgrade.
>

> Rick Harnish
> President
> OnlyInternet Broadband & Wireless, Inc.
> 260-827-2482 Office
> 260-307-4000 Cell
> 260-918-4340 VoIP
> www.oibw.net
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---

Steve Stroh
425-939-0076 | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.stevestroh.com

This mail passed through mail.alvarion.com

********
viruses.
********