----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Kerns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] My CPE dream list (what does yours do, or wish it did?)

> Ok dream list.....
>
> I think for future triple play I would make that 20 mbits
> what you mention plus:

Ok, 20mbit capability.

> multiple freq. by change of radio card ......  for today 900 mhz, 2.4ghz,
> 5ghz

Ok, but what if we say "flexible wireless standards, by means of
standardized replaceable radios"?   Would that work?

> support for higher powered radios
> single and dual radio versions

Ok, so you want "relay" capable?   Can we state it that way?

> QOS
> Channel size .... 5mhz,10mhz etc.

This is included in the "flexible wireless standards...." statement...

> firewall

What do you firewall?  I have a small list of ports I firewall, but havent'
found it to be a big issue.

> port forwarding

Why port forwarding?   I find it easier to route a small subnet of public
IP's.

> dual ethernet

What do you use ethernet #2 for?

> POE - prefer standard 48 vdc

Ok, I did not include POE,  thanks.

> small footprint

ok, good addition.

> SNMP

Good thing.

> syslogs and remote syslog

How much does this really do?   Who has it and who uses it?   I'd love to
know.

> watchdog, both ping and hardware

!!! good :)

> maybe e-mail alerts through self monitoring (could be done through syslogs
> server)

What would it alert you to?   "failure" would be considered a disconnect,
would it not, in which case you'd never get the alert...

> support multiple gateways

CPE?  Do you mean, a cpe that has 2 radios that connect to 2 different AP's
for redundancy?

> temp range for outside installations

A given, but, yeah, good spec to have.

> as you asked Mark .... dream list.

Awesome.  Thanks.   As I sit wondering how to achieve that parity with DSL
or Cable, so that I can have no large "install" cost hurdle and grow rapidly
without any more cash binds than I'm in right now...    I figured I'd see
what everone wanted in a CPE.  Not to evangelize a network type or
particular maker's system, but just generically, to see what things people
think are important...  (or, "what the heck am I missing, here...")

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-