From: FCC NPRM for UHF TV Band Unlicensed Use On Behalf Of Jim Snider
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 2:10 PM
Subject: [TVWHITESPACE] This morning's senate hearing on the TV white spaces
and the growing political importance of 802.22...

I attended this morning's senate hearing on wireless policy (see
http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/witnesslist.cfm?id=1709) and thought
that Kevin Kahn's verbal statement in support of unlicensed use of the
TV white spaces was excellent.  Here is a link to the written statement,
which I have not read: http://commerce.senate.gov/pdf/kahn-031406.pdf.
Jeannine Kenney from Consumers Union also provided a strong endorsement
of unlicensed use of the TV spaces.  Even the GAO's representative,
JayEtta Hecker was quite supportive of the white spaces proposal.

On the other hand, MSTV and PFF came out swinging against it.  But it is
noteworthy that none of the senators badmouthed the white spaces
proposal and Senators Lautenberg, Allen, and Kerry gave it vigorous
endorsements, with even Committee Chair Stevens (who has one of the two
pro white spaces bills) speaking out in favor of it.  The most eloquent
statement was by Lautenberg.

As a practical matter, the biggest task right now is to refute MSTV's
detailed engineering attack on the white spaces proposals, including a
point-by-point attack of NAF's Marcus, Kolodzy, Lippman paper.  This was
handed out to all the senators.

It's also time to recognize and respond to the broadcasters' strategy of
using the IEEE 802.22 standards setting body to dilute any white spaces
proposal Congress or the FCC might adopt.  Given the current political
situation, the 802.22 standards body recommendations have become central
to the broadcasters' counter attack.  On the surface, 802.22 supports
the FCC's white spaces proposal.  But it's a crippled version of the
proposal, and that appears to be the compromise the broadcasters are now
gunning for.

--Jim

P.S.  If you haven't yet, please read the comments and reply comments to
the FCC's proceeding on digital TV distributed transmission systems
(docket 05-312).  I believe that if broadcasters are successful in
expanding their interference protection from their Grade B out to their
DMA lines, it will have a huge impact on how much white space would be
available under 04-186.  If others think my analysis is wrong, I'd
welcome your feedback.

J.H. Snider, Ph.D.
Senior Research Fellow
New America Foundation
1630 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: 202/986-2700
Fax: 202/986-3696
Web: www.newamerica.net
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
My Book Website: speaksoftly.jhsnider.net
My Personal Blog: jhsnider.net/telecompolicy