From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Brian Whigham
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:18 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] VPN and router choices

Bo,

make sure that you're that you're not mis-interpreting VPN support with
VPN services.  Most of the $20-$100 routers will allow IPSEC (the good
stuff) and PPTP to pass through the device.  But, the only way I know of
to get any of these to act as a VPN client or server is to upgrade to
opensource firmware.  For example, the WRT54GL will act as PPTP client
or server and can act as an openvpn client when you use DD-WRT.  See
wrt54g.net for info on how to do this.

But, keep in mind that this configuration voids the warranty and any
support.   Also, the device has 200mhz processor with 8MB RAM and 4MB
flash.  So, it's no powerhouse.  You might look into linux boxes (to do
an SSH VPN, IPSEC with FreeSwan, or OpenVPN for an SSL-based VPN), a
Cisco PIX, or a SonicWall.  I warn you that VPN is not an easy thing.
PPTP is fairly simple (and it works with win98 clients with no 3rd party
software).  But, it's also proven to be insecure.

VPN appliances are not cheap (probably >$500-$1000 for one that can
handle any sort of load).  But, you might be able to use a soekris board
with a linux firmware that supports some VPN technology.  Those are
still cute and tiny (with plenty of horsepower), but cheaper.

Luck to ya,
Brian Whigham
Yonder Networks