> Phone carriers say it's unfair for them to invest more in network
> infrastructure to carry Internet firms' content if they can't make more
> money as the middleman.

What's the problem with a usage-based fee structure? That's the obvious way to make more in the middle. Move more bits, make more money. It does cost something after all. I don't know that it makes sense to differentiate forms of media - voice from video from music. Priority might be billable, but would get busy quick.

Usage-based billing may not be the norm but it's a little less crazy than building [Google,Ebay,Amazon].net. Anyone try this? I like pay-as-you-go models like that offered by Teliax for voice, myself. And I'm alright with the idea that if I'm downloading 80 gigs a month I ought to pay more than my ma checking her email.

Huawei just announced the first 1.7 GHz UMTS base station: http://news.tmcnet.com/news/2006/04/07/1550495.htm

How long til WISPs start talking about launching UMTS and other mobile data services? Or are you waiting for it to happen on unlicensed bands?

Best,
--
Dylan Oliver
Primaverity, LLC