Guys,

I received a random e-mail from someone that I don't even know.  I thought was
a phony e-mail (I will append the text below).  I am not one that tries to
spread rumors or anything, but I went to the ARRL site, and with a quick search
on 2.4, I found this article:  http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/project.html.

Now what I found doesn't state what the e-mail I recieved, but I thought it
might be something that I should bring to everyone's attention.  There may be
more out there.

Eric

----- Email -----

Hi,

The ARRL has proposed a change in regulating spread spectrum power output.
This will dramatically affect users of 802.11b/g in the 2.4 GHz frequency
range.  If you haven't already, please consider making your comments known on
the FCC's ECFS http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/ for RM-11325.  You only have a
couple weeks.

Basically the proposal allows amateur radio operators to run powers of 100
watts without automatic power control.  (Right now they can run up to 100 watts
of power, but if they run anything over 1 watt the automatic power control
kicks in and lowers or raises the power to use only what's required for the
communication link)   By asking to have this requirement removed, it means that
they can blanket an area by transmitting continuously at 100 watts without an
automatic system to reduce power for near communications.   In the 2.4 GHz band
it could obliterate wifi channels for miles.  This can directly impact your
technical support department as well as future sales of products that use the
2.4 GHz shared frequency region.  Whether your feelings are pro or con, please
make your opinion known to the FCC using the link above.

Sincerely,

Keith DeLong