To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:25 AM
Subject: [WISPA] Universal Service Fund

Marlon has been asking us for a while to give him feedback on Universal Service. We have not helped him as much as we should have. He asked for input from the WISPA membership originally. I am asking everyone, members or not, if you can help. Marlon has been asked by a member of the House Commerce Committee (One of his Reps in Washington) to help them structure legislation toward the re-working on the Universal Service Program. Thoughts on the Hill are now leaning toward making it available to multiple operators in a market and opening it to aid in broadband as well as telco.

The feeling from most WISPs is two things to date. Most think the government should make Universal Service just go away. I share some of that feeling myself. What should be known though is that government rarely makes things go away. They usually want a role. With that said we need to give them ideas on how to make this program help us in our goal to bring broadband into underserved and/or unserved areas.

To do this we need to understand what the program does, what was its history, how it works and how it does not work. We need to develop a strong strategy for dealing with Universal Service and offer a position that legislators can feel good about and that helps show we are serious about helping in legislative issues. I welcome feedback from anyone with information which can help us develop this position. We need to act soon as the legislature is wanting to do something now. Please help us mold our future through this important effort. Your thoughts and knowledge are needed.

Input from anyone with knowledge of Universal Service would be helpful at this time. What we do not need is an argument that we should just tell them to make it go away. We know that is what many of you want. In lieu of it going away we need to know how it can be made to help us.
Thank you,
Scriv