To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Universal Service Fund

First of all we should all understand that USF is not going anywhere. Our nation’s telecommunications network is too important. Second with the above understanding we should try and push the legislation to account for the work we as WISP's are doing and allow us to contribute and receive funding from USF.

I reed an article about some proposed legislation that uses a reverse auction style for USF funding. This would allow for the most efficient network to receive the appropriate funding. We can in almost all cases implement the same or better network for less then an established Telco. Thus this legislation would give us the trim and fit organizations a competitive edge.

ABOVE ALL we need to be included in the new legislator. It should not be technology dependent but results dependent.

One thing to realize if this does happen that likely every Telco out there would start using wireless equipment to stay competitive and all the effects of that must be understood.

Anthony Will
Broadband Solutions

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

I talked (personally, not as WISPA) with the commerce committee co-chair's staff person on USF today.

What it LOOKED like was said in the conference hearing I saw (and she agreed that it sounded this way) was that USF had paid for the laptops. What really happened was that USF paid for other things allowing the school system to buy the laptops themselves.

In my mind this is a matter of semantics as it means that there wasn't as much money needed in the first place.....

We had a really good talk. She said that in about two weeks they'll be working more in earnest on the issue. Coming up with more specific proposals for people to talk about.

On the white spaces issue. We talked about the ideas in our position paper. She didn't think that the idea that all TV spectrum should be open would fly. But did like the idea of using smart radios and allowing use now not after the DTV transition. She also seemed to understand the need for sub gig spectrum at higher power levels.

We'll see where it all goes.

Marlon
(509) 982-2181 Equipment sales
(408) 907-6910 (Vonage) Consulting services
42846865 (icq) And I run my own wisp!
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam