----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Comroe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] UL WiMAX update

Rich, with all due respect, your idea has a REALLY big flaw in it.

I love debate.  I'll take that as a challenge  :-)

Oh oh.  Here we go!  roflol

Once government sets a standard, it's going to be a very long time before anything new comes along. No Darwinism (government standards, really that's what the old Ma Bell system in essence was) is even worse.

I agree with you that this is the prevailing wisdom here (and said so). A lot of people really believe this in the United States. That's despite the significant wireless market evidence to the contrary. The FCC set ONE standard for original analog cellular (later knows as AMPS) 30 years ago. Did it stiffle anything new coming along? No. AMPS became the world cellular standard, and companies who invested in it were rewarded with world market. But when digital cellular came along this "new thinking" had set in. A US Digital Cellular standard was written (USDC) and almost immediately companies began crying to do differently (notably Qualcom and Motorola). There was double-talk that if "one" standard is good, "two" standards must be better (nonsense ... if there is more than "one" standard there is in fact "no" standard). The FCC went along with the US wireless industry's request for Darwinism (IMO because there was a new sense that technical flexibility in granting licenses would make them more valuable and Washington was getting an inkling of how much companies might be willing to pay for licenses in a bidding auction system). Essentially we have pure Darwinism in US digital cellular today. Does it serve the public best? Does it serve the carriers best? No to both ... all it did was give-away the entire world digital cellular market to Europe's GSM which had no problem being judged a better choice compared to America's free-for-all. Oh, and your cellphone can't get coverage from 4 out of 5 towers that you pass by (because they're different technologies).

It's interesting that you should bring up a 30 YEAR old technology as a good example for an equipment life standards discussion. hehehehehe

As for different cell phone standards here. That's ecconomic mostly I'd think. I don't want to change providers because I'd have to buy all new phones (7 in my case).

Same thing for people's email addresses. One of the only holding forces that the average isp has with the average customer is the email address.

For the cell phone guys it's a matter of customer retention.

They are now building to catch up

No way. Non-US manufacturers own the digital cellular market, and significant portions of the US infastructure is being replaced with European designed GSM & GPRS. The US lost leadership in 2nd & 3rd generation cellular. A little test: What brand cellphones are the market leaders in America, and where country are they from?

See. My point exactly. Well, I wasn't thinking cell phone but that's ok. It still works.

US manufacturers are free to choose who and what they want! It's working perfectly.

What about boadband wireless internet:

Once government sets a standard, it's going to be a very long time before anything new comes along.

There is a middle ground. When Europe set aside the RLAN band (for hyperlan) they didn't mandate that systems had to be "hyperlan" to get the European equivalent of FCC type acceptance. They picked 2 technical elements of "playing nice" and made them mandatory requirements for type acceptance (TPC & DFS). Systems had to support Transmit Power Control and Dynamic Frequency Selection to be considered for compliance. Europe set this up in the late 90's I think. Oh how I wish US license exempt bands required part-15, *and* TPC & DFS. How would it have impacted wisps that employ 802.11 technologies? Well, 802.11h (I believe it's the "h" suffix) has both these attributes (I presume the "h" suffix version was designed to make 802.11 saleable into European RLAN markets ... can anyone comment on this?). So if this had been a US requirement, equipment for the WISP market would today all support the .h version and it wouldn't have impacted your system ... BUT it would have prevented destructive interference between your system and some other manufacturer choosing to market equipment that didn't "play nice". I think it would have been better for all wisps. No?

We'll see.  That's what the FCC just did with 3650.

And lets be real here eh? No matter how good something we do is, much of Europe will do it differently just because we did it first.

Market forces are best left alone.

Standards are a fascinating field into themselves.

Aint that the truth!

It's a little politics, public relations, technology, business, and government all rolled up together. Laisse-fare turned out NOT to be in the best interests of the United States manufacturers, carriers, or citizens. It's a world market and citizens expect their government to do what's best for their citizens, their providers, and their manufacturers. History showed us that "let the market work itself out" was not the best answer. A good case study is VHS vs BETA. What did VHS lead in the US market for 20 years even though BETA was better? Better standards strategy! Sony learned their lessons well and did a complete 180 on the standards strategy for 8mm. A well thought out standard helps everyone.

Well, that gets even more fuzzy I think. What made beta better than VHS? Certainly part of what made VHS better was the availability.

Technically? Maybe Beta was better. I'd seen both but didn't really see any difference. For me, the best one was the cheapest one.

As for having ALL devices be wifi? No thanks! There are good things coming out of the proprietary market.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>