Tom DeReggi wrote:

When someone sells 1 mbps of speed, who said that meant they are selling the customer continuous 1 mbps for what ever use they want? And just because we sell them a 1 mbps last mile, who says that we are selling them that capacity accross our backbone network?

You may oversubscribe your customers; not every ISP does. However, that is irrelevant. If the customer is buying an oversubscribed link then the customer must accept that certain types of content may not work very well. That is the customer's choice.

Sounds like legislators or reading maketing advertisements instead of acceptable use policies and fine print of broadband contracts.

What makes you come to that conclusion?

When I sell 1 mbps to a resident, I in no way represent I am selling the subscriber 1 mbps of capacity. I'm selling him that speed. There is a nig difference. If they want that guaranteed capacity, they can buy it from me per bit, or pay for a CIR plan that guarantees that capacity.

And if the customer buys a CIR plan then they can use their connection for whatever content they want right? So, where is your argument against my earlier email?

VOIP providers most likely won't share my view, as they want a free ride. However, I beleive VOIP providers would not be harmfully effected by this, as all it would mean is that they must make partnerships with ISPs. There are 7000 ISPs out there ready to accept partnerships. Whats wrong with that. UNfortuneately, the idea that a VOIP content provider should ahve free reign to sell to anyone, such as through best Buy and Circuit cities, regardless of which ISP used, is a flawed model for competition. The reason is that the most popular and largest VOIP providers will be the one that gets the deal with Circuit Cities and Best Buys, and the industry will get lopsided, almost like a market driven self created monopoly. Forcing VOIP providers to make deals with ISPs, will create the opportunity for more different VOIP providers to be successfull and have a peice of the pie. It will also guaranteee that consumers can't as easilly be blindsided by misrepresenting marketing material. It will guarantee that VOIP has a better chance to survuve will good QOS because attention will be given by the broadband provider to make sure it is there.

I disagree it is a flawed model. We have customers that buy VoIP from us and others that buy VoIP from companies like Vonage. Our VoIP is much higher quality, but for customers that buy Vonage they accept the service for what it is. We don't lower the priority of Vonage traffic; we don't have to. Our VoIP service will always better if for no other reason than it doesn't rely on internet transit. Core internet routers are designed to move as much traffic as fast as possible. Sometimes this means queing of traffic to obtain maximum throughput, while at the same time raising latency. That is a good thing for core routers, but a bad thing for real-time traffic like VoIP.

-Matt