Blake,

Its not that I disagree with you, that "it is good business to take care of your customers." Nor am I defending Hyperlinktech, as we don't have enough business experience with them, to have a valid opinion. but...

This isn't retail HomeDepot that we are talking about, this is distribution.
In my 10 years experience previously in the distribution business, I can tell you there are not many companies that give "refunds." We also found that the companies that couldn't understand why "refunds" was bad business for distributors, usually were the ones that didn't do enough volume to matter wether we lost them. I'm not saying that I personally do not believe in giving refunds. I also believe its best practice to take care of the customer, in most cases. But that does not change the fact that most dealers do NOT give refunds.

Tessco, Talley. Hutton, Electrocomm.

They may give refunds, but there significant hassle in getting it, that in most cases will be more costly to the buyer in time than the value of the refund. They also usually charge a higher profit margin on every sale than the smaller distributor that is competing on price, and therefore has more margin to justify eating the cost to give the refund.

I bet the price received from Hyperlinktech was significantly less than that the Tesscos or Hutton's would have charged? When price drops, terms gets tougher. A distributor must determine which business they want to be in, and they can't be in both successfully. If in the price market they need to have price policies. Descretion needs to be taken out of the set policies, otherwise its impossible to manage RMA processes.

There are many reasons strict policies need to be inforced for Refunds....

1. Price constantly falls based on time. And even a week or s odone the road the cost of the product may have dropped.
2. People find something cheaper after the fact.
3. Sales people may have already been paid commissions.
4. If special order product, the vendor ends up getting stuck with the full cost of the product sitting in inventory for a long time, while price drops by the time someone wants the product. Guaranteed to sell the product at a loss as well as tie up cash flow. 5. People often irreputably return other vendor's products. Company 1 has stock and can ship today. Company 2 has lower cost. Company 1 product gets installed. Company 2 product when arrives gets sent back to company 1 for refund. Buyer actually makes a profit on the deal, getting a higher dollar refunded than he paid for the gear from company 2. You'd be surprised how often this happened. Sometimes even involving invoice forging and swapping serial number stickers. 6. The easy way to keep EVERYONE happy, is instead to just offer credits or replacements. It keeps everyone honest. If the buyer is really going to be a repeat customer, its just a matter of time before he has another order that he can apply the credit to.

This is standard distribution policies. There are some exceptions. If the buyer bought a product that the vendor normally keeps in stock and sells a lot of, and its a product that the buyer will likely never need again, and the buyer didn't cause big inconvenience demanding immediate shipment of product for a rush order. On these cases, vendors almost always will give the refund, even if against standard policies.

But there is no way you can say standard distribution policy is to give refunds. Just about every term sheet from anybody specifically says "NO REFUNDS, ALL SALES ARE FINAL". Thats jsut the reality.

Unless specifically discussed otherwise in advance of shipment.

If someone gives refunds, thats a plus that shows they add value. But not giving refunds does not infer wrong doing.

Just my opinion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blake Bowers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>