Unfortuneately I believe the legal battle went in the favor of the county. There is one major case that addressed this. For the life of me, the details are escaping my mind. From what I remember the law was meant to encourage prompt response from the county, apposed to a requirement that the county had to authorize the tower building.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Owen Harrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Towers and the Law

I hope someone can help me on this. I believe that back in 1997 or 1998 a
law was passed that prevented local governments from preventing tower
construction that would provide Internet service to remote areas. If anyone
knows of such a law or could at least point me in the right direction, it
would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of getting permits for new
towers and I would just like to be prepared in the unlikely case that the
county was to turn me down for my permits.

Thanks in Advance

Owen Harrell
Technology Supervisor
Essex Computers