Kelly,

Yes, your ground could have a high-resistance thereby causing too much energy to pass through, zapping the card. Another possibility is perhaps the surge suppressor itself is defective.
                                          jack

Kelly Shaw wrote:
I'm running a StarOS Wrap Combo with an Atheros 5213 PCI card at one of my POPs. When the slightest thunderstorm comes through, I lose this card. For some reason or another it's output drops severely and only my closest clients can connect. I go from a -65 signal to -85+ on my closest client. My tower has never had a direct hit through all of this. The WRAP board appears to be working just fine and I can access the STAROS program just fine. A replacement of the radio card brings things back to normal. I have a surge suppressor in-line with only 10 feet of LMR-400 to my antenna. Could my problem be that my ground is shoddy? I've been through 4 of these cards in the past year because of this and can't figure it out. Once these storms go through tonight, I am thinking about filing down my ground connection to the tower to ensure a better contact surface. Kelly Shaw
Pure Internet, Inc.
www.pure.net <http://www.pure.net>

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Our next WISP Workshop is June 21-22 in Atlanta, GA.