<snip>
Q in Q, means that the provider does not need to remove his VLAN tags. The
customer's VLAN tags can survive teh VLAN tags that the provider adds.
Customer has VLAN 10.  Provider tags VLAN20 on top, crosses network as
VLAN20 data, Provider untags VLAN20 data, packet delivered to customer on
VLAN10 (as customer tagged it originally).
</snip>

A better example of the benefits of QnQ is customer / provider VLAN tagging
conflicts
For example

Say the customer wants to pass VLAN#2 between 2 remote offices going through
your network -- problem is, VLAN#2 happens to be your management VLAN -- so
if you want to bridge the VLAN across your network, it won't work correctly
unless someone (either you or the customer) gives up the VLAN#2 tag.  QnQ
solves this issue by encapsalating the customer VLAN (in this case, #2) in
some arbitrarily assigned VLAN tag on the provider network

That said, it seems like tunneling would be an easier solution...e.g L2TP or
if you're a Mikrotik fan, EoIP

-Charles

CWLab
Technology Architects