From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Peter R.
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:34 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] www.fon.com - a threat to us all? - back to net
neutrality

Rick Smith wrote:

> I still don't see why anyone should be able to use my network without
> paying me for the right to do so.  PERIOD.
>
> I don't run a network for the benefit of the free world, I run it for
> the benefit of my checkbook.  Which needs SERIOUS help.  :)
>
> OK, and while we're at it, why is "net neutral" good ?   I admit I've
> ignored most of the discussions on it due to the fact that I'm NOT a
> supporter.

We are at this point in telecom for exactly these reasons:
1) Many do not even understand the issue, but take a side in it
2) Everyone was saying regulate them, but not us
3) It's my network I can do what I want with it

Net Neutrality means that I buy an open, unfiltered pipe to the
INTERNET.
The best argument I have heard is that if you are offering a restricted
pipe, then say so, because you are not offering the INTERNET. (Remember
AOL used to have its community and you would open a portal to the WWW).

That doesn't mean you can't prevent a degradation on your network, but
that doesn't mean you get to give one content or app provider priority
over another.

The problem becomes when the customer only has one BB choice and that
provider restricts his usage.

And about FON... how is that any different that the nimrod consumers who
leave their Linksys AP wide open??

This is just me rambling this morning.

- Peter