From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 11:13 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Speaking of muni, anyone see this one?

Patrick,

The Cheyene network is apparently "shared" between City users and public
users.

Does Alvarion anticipate any conflict between the FCC's designation of
the 4.9 GHz band for public safety and critical infrastructure
protection use and Cheyenne's use of 4.9 GHz to backhaul public Internet
access traffic? Won't this be seen as boarderline illegal use of 4.9 GHz
for public Internet access rather than for legitimate public safety use?

Also, does Alvarion anticipate that any WISPs may be outraged that
Cities may now enjoy an unfair advantage over private-sector WISPs who
will not have access to the 4.9 GHz spectrum to provide public backhaul
while being forced to use the more interference-prone 5 GHz spectrum?

Does Alavarion see itself as setting a precedent here that will now
allow other manufacturers to "push" 4.9 GHz for "shared" public/private
backhaul, giving Cities everywhere an unfair advantage over
private-sector WISPs?

I'm curious about your personal opinions here too, not just the
Israeli-corporate position.

Thanks,
         jack

Patrick Leary wrote:

> Patrick Leary
> AVP Marketing
> Alvarion, Inc.
> o: 650.314.2628
> c: 760.580.0080
> Vonage: 650.641.1243
> http://www.alvarion.com/presscenter/pressreleases/7540/
>
> Networks like these are not for public access, but rather to create
internal
> efficiencies. This one is very cool in terms of all the applications the
> network is supporting. It is for the city of Cheyenne, WY. Citywide.
>
> - Patrick
> Alvarion

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Newsletters Downloadable from http://ask-wi.com/newsletters.html

********
viruses(192).
********